Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Working Through a Bullet Journal Slump

Working Through a Bullet Journal Slump // Our Journey in Journals
Hey, everyone! This topic may be a little sad, but today I'm going to be talking about working through a bullet journal slump (as you've  garnered already from the post title). I feel like probably almost every avid bullet journalist goes through some period--or multiple periods--of time where they just really don't enjoy bullet journaling anymore and don't feel like doing it. I'm going to be talking about my own experiences and what to do if you're in a bujo slump, and I hope I can also help out any of you guys out there who are in one right now.

So first off, how do you even know you're in a bullet journal slump? I think it's generally fairly easy to identify because you just don't have the same drive or motivation or use your bujo as you did in the past. For me personally, it coincides when my mental health is the worst because I really don't want to do anything at all. The two times I've really had bad slumps were around November of 2016 and November of 2017, which were indeed times when I was just feeling like crap in general. I made daily spreads maybe only half of the time, and even when I did have a daily, I barely referred to them during the school day and after I got home from school.

Of course, neither of those slumps lasted; obviously, I'm still posting here (when I have time, at least haha) and on Instagram about bullet journaling.

So, what's my advice for if you're in a bujo slump? There are three main things, the first being that you need to look at what's not working for you and if there's anything specific that's dissuading you from using your bullet journal--and being able to let go of it, even if it's something that you think of as a "standard" component of most people's bullet journals. Remember, the greatest thing of the bujo system is it's flexibility, so you should only be doing what works for you and your life!

For me, one of the big things was my monthly habit tracker. I had been implementing one ever since I started using the bullet journal system, but at that point in time, keeping a tracker had become a chore and wasn't helping me anymore. For about a month or two, I would forget to fill it in daily, so I would have to try to remember several days back and "flub" data. Consequently, I finally decided that it was about time to quit using it.

Another big thing that was causing me to be somewhat unhappy with my bullet journal system was my daily spreads--more specifically, what days I did them on. I had already not been creating dailies on the weekend, so that was more a mental thing/altering my mindset to allow myself to not feel bad about it.

Secondly, you might want to try avoiding bullet journaling on social media. Though seeing pictures of other people's bujos can be inspiring and satisfying, it could be making you feel like your  bullet journal is insufficient or not "pretty enough." Though I may seem a little hypocritical for being a part of that demographic of people that posts pictures of my aesthetically-pleasing bujo on the internet, I do want to remind you that as long as it's serving you well functionally, your bullet journal truly is perfect just the way it is.

Really, I think the biggest thing that'll let you get out of bujo slumps is the passage of time. Whenever I'm in a slump, it's not that I dislike bullet journaling itself; it's generally more that I'm not motivated to do anything. Once I'm feeling better mental health-wise, that lets me push myself to be more motivated and productive. Thus, this in turn gives me more passion and desire to use my bullet journal. So, if you're in a bullet journal slump but genuinely want to continue bullet journaling, just give yourself some time, and don't force yourself too much to do it.

However, there's always the possibility that the bullet journal system may not be right for you. Though I would suggest maybe implementing printables in your bullet journal if setting up spreads is one of the things holding you back, if it's been a while and bullet journaling is a still like pulling teeth, then it might be time to start considering a pre-printed planning system. There is absolutely no shame if you stop using a bujo because at the end of the day, your planner is yours, and bullet journaling should be something that brings you joy--definitely not something that prevents you from being productive or something renders you bitter.
~Mae-Mae Han

I hope this was helpful for you. What other tips do you have for getting out of a bullet journal slump? Make sure to leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment